For the topic of the day, let's talk Halloween costumes. It's seriously right around the corner and for the first time in several years, I do not have a costume and neither does my hubby! Eeek! We are normally ahead of the game a little bit when it comes to Halloween because his boss and my best friend (married to the boss) throw a killer party every year. They do it all up and start working on turning their large two-story house and yard into a haunted house months in advance in every year. They literally live with black plastic covering all their walls for at least 3 months out of the year! So, this is a party not to miss.
I'm super bummed that we are so far behind in picking costumes out. We know what we want to be, but sadly, my little dog had to have surgery and it cost almost $4,000!!! That leaves us with two new loans and pretty much $0, so instead of buying our bee and beekeeper costumes, we may have to go with some of the ideas I found posted in the October, 2011 edition of Real Simple magazine. The direct link to the article is HERE, but I'm gonna see if I can copy the pics over here and elaborate. All the pictures are the original property of Real Simple Magazine and in no way am I claiming them as my own. Just sayin'. ;) Would LOVE to get everyone else's opinions and ideas as well! I'm sure a bunch of my crafty friends would have some awesome ideas. The best I can come up with (since I have a crystal ball) is a gypsy. LOL Yep, that's about as good as it gets around here.
Actually last year the hubs and I rocked it... we were the Tim Burton version of Alice and The Mad Hatter and had there been a contest, everyone says we would've won. In fact, I've even had a few special requests by people, to do their makeup because they love how I did my hubs' last year! Of course, there was no contest last year, but my friends did decide to put one on this year! I'm so P.O.'d (not at my friends) b/c this is the year where we don't have it figured out! The year before last, we went as a lioness and a lion tamer... Also, fantastic costumes! It totally figures that this would be the first year of a costume contest. I'm way into that and really would love to win so I'm quite annoyed that we have come up with naught as of yet really.
13 LAST-MINUTE HALLOWEEN-COSTUME IDEAS
I'm not going to post pics of all 13 from the article, but I will list them and if you are intrigued you can hit the link and check it out on the actual site. Let's get started, shall we?
1. Ceiling fan - Let me forewarn you... a lot of these are cheesy and would need a lot of explaining. I think people would definitely look at this and go, "Hmmm... So what is it you're supposed to be?" So I guess, if you like a lot of interaction and want to explain yourself all night, this would be one way to go. *Note - pay close attention to the names of the costumes in bold.
To create this look - "Use adhesive letters (or masking tape) to spell GO CEILING! on a shirt." [You can always use an old shirt and paint on letters too] "Carry pop-poms or mopheads. Short pleated skirt optional."
Well, yay or nay? I think it's pretty funny, but is one of those that will require an explanation 'cause I just don't think most people are smart enough to get it. Maybe smart isn't the right word... how 'bout kooky. I don't think most people are "kooky" enough to get it. Yeah, that's more like it. Final decision for me is... YAY
2. Iron Chef - Does everyone know what an iron chef is, or shall I say whom? 'Cause I'm not sure I'd quite get this one...
Achieving the look - "Wear a chef's hat ($7, cheftools.com) or an apron and hold an iron" ['cause that'd be a blast to carry around all night, right?].
Final Decision - NAY. No way, no how. Plus, the hubs would end up carrying that heavy a** iron all night and I don't think he'd be too thrilled.
3. Fork In The Road - Intrigued??? Read on...
Attaining the look - "Wear black. Using white duct tape [or vinyl if you have any], make a line of dashes (your lane lines) that begins at one ankle and ends at your collar. Fasten a fork [plastic, I assume would work best] along the route.
Final Decision - YAY. I think this is one of those cheesy, but quite clever and cute ideas. Truly... have you ever known anyone to use this as a costume before? I'd say it gets an A+ for originality.
4. Split P - Hmmm... Has you thinking, doesn't it?
Achieving the look - "Cut out a large P from construction paper [again, if you have it, use vinyl - it would stick a lot easier], then cut it in half. Tape it to your hoodie [doubt you want to permanently glue paper onto your favorite hoodie, but hey, it would stay on better] so that the zipper appears to slice through it." - Like the word they chose... "slice". LOL
See how they did that? It's like magic! ;P LMAO
5. Bottleneck - This one's just silly. Check it out by clicking the link to Real Simple (above or below).
6. Pumpkin Pi - Here's one for the nerds... or are they geeks? I don't know the PC terminology anymore...
Achieving this look - "Dress in orange. Cut out a pi symbol from black paper or print one out; type Option +P [I didn't know that would give you the pi symbol! I knew I would learn something from this article!] and tape it to your shirt [again, vinyl would be very helpful here or maybe contact paper?].
Final Decision - YAY. For one reason mainly... I could totally see my hubby and his friends wearing something like this. Do any of you watch Big Bang Theory? If you do, you'll like this "costume" too. Totally reminds me of something they would do on the show. In fact, I'm surprised they haven't already! C'mon guys, this is pretty clever!
7. Buccaneer - "Tape a $1 bill to each of your ears [as long as you have two, this will work]. Now you've got a buck-an-ear." Hey, I didn't make this up people, I just add my thoughts... The ones in brackets and for the most part, without quotes. Hee Hee
8. Self-Portrait - Now this is just ridiculous and completely impractical... "Carry a large, empty picture frame (minus the glass) [duh - although the person trying this might need that info] and hold it in front of your face."
9. Tickled Pink - Wanna know how to get the look? Look it up here.
10. Under the C - This is so ridiculous, I don't even want to say it, but for the sake of good reporting, I will... "Tape the letter C to a baseball cap. Put it on and -- presto!- you're under it!" Again, I did not make that one up. That was thought up by some other brilliant writer. LMAO Oh, come on, you know you're having fun reading these. ;0)
11. Cat Out of the Bag
12. P in Your Pants - not too sure I want to know how to achieve this look, but I know of one definite way and one way that might work without grossing too many people out... How creative can you be with this one? ;)
13. Band on the Run - Now this I'd love to see. Wouldn't want to do it, but would love to see someone else do it... "Get the whole family to wear sneakers and gym clothes. [Good luck with that. My family won't even call on my birthday, let alone dress up in a costume I pick for them. Ha!] Have every person carry an instrument." And there you have it ladies and gentlemen... 13 Last Minute How-To-Look-Like-A- Halloween[ie] Costume Ideas. I hope you enjoyed this as much as me! We could all use a good laugh sometimes right? LOL Now, back to looking for real costume ideas...
XO ~ Amy Jo